My life according to belt. Chronicles of a 30's something female Jiu Jitsu practitioner.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Wow has time been flying by. I can't believe we are already only a week away from Thanksgiving. Amidst all of the school field trips and social outings that come with the season I have managed to make it to all of the BJJ classes. Last week went pretty well.

We had two new members join the class and that is always nice. They are both soccer players that are looking to stay in shape during their off season. Both are from Brazil, but have never actually done any Jiu Jitsu. Last week we went over some basics- We worked on getting out of closed guard, and drilling a roll from the guard position.

I certainly appreciated the simplicity of it...but maybe I was the only one. Last night was terrible. The instructor had us working on darce and gator grips. Maybe it is just me, but both are ridiculously difficult..No matter how I contort myself I can't seem to get a strong enough grip to hold. My arms are either too short, or the fact that I am female is a hindrance..or maybe both. Anyone else have the same problem? I can't imagine being able to swoop into one of those positions during an actual roll.

I left class last night completely hopeless. Hoping Wed night is better.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I get easily confused on those too. I can never remember which arm goes where during sparring. Ideally, you'd get some open mat time with a willing training partner and just drill them over and over again, with increasing resistance.

    Of course, it isn't always easy to get that open mat time (I think I've managed it about twice in the last 12 months).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm feeling your frustration. That "hopeless" feeling creeps into class every once in awhile like an uninvited in-law. Fear not, their stay is usually short....;>

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where are you? It's time for you to list your achievments of 2010 and your goals of 2011.

    ReplyDelete