My life according to belt. Chronicles of a 30's something female Jiu Jitsu practitioner.

Monday, October 11, 2010

The Art of Marketing

Let's face it, the Art of Marketing is not new to me- those of you out there that truly know me know this already. On a recent trip to meet some new friends and fellow Jiu Jitsu lovers it hit me though-

What is the best way for people to know that you are into Jiu Jitsu?


Well- I guess I could buy enough shirts to walk around ina Jiu Jitsu shirt on a daily basis- but honestly I think that would get pretty old pretty fast. And as a marketing professional I immediately see the limitations of a shirt. Of course I could spend big money solidifying every single girls horror- Rent a billboard and publicly display my number...something like..


For a good roll Call *** *** ****


Pretty sure my mom would be so peeved she wouldn't bother talking to me about it, she would just haul off and shoot me. We are from Texas ya know- guns are a way of life. In her mind, at that point I would deserve it...and she may be right. Okay, moving on.

I could spend countless hours perusing the local gyms for any females (or males) that look remotely interested in something new...but time is not something I have a lot of, so again- moving on...

Figured it out yet? Car clutter. Essentially that is what it is. While I am not into bumper stickers or even packing as many possible random decals that may give away as many details on my life as a hacker on Facebook- a BJJ decal could be effective.

For those that know what it is, it could be an immediate in to a conversation...

"Really- BJJ??...and a girl is driving that car...if she can do it, maybe I can..."


And then for those that don't know what it is, once they get past the snickering behind your back because the first thing that comes to mind is of course what comes on everybody elses mind- sex...then perhaps it may be an ice breaker.

A new friend of mine has BJJ GRRL on her license plate. I think that is fantastic! While it does represent a large part of who she is, essentially it is also big time marketing for women in Jiu Jitsu. Since license plates obviously can't be duplicated in the same state she has her state locked down. Fortunately we live in different states- so I will be looking to lock down a similar plate for my state. I challenge all the women out there that are having trouble looking for rolling partners to market the fact that you are interested in Jiu Jitsu...and maybe it will grant you some good luck.

Here is a decal that I recently ordered..but there are tons to choose from. Find some that work for you!



4 comments:

  1. Hah - funny you should mention that, as I've been steadily building up my collection of BJJ shirts. I'm completely shameless when it comes to advertising, so I'm always sure to wear my Roger Gracie Academy shirt (which has 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' in big letters on the back) whenever I think there is the slightest possibility somebody who might be interested in BJJ could see me.

    Not a massive success rate so far, but I was very chuffed when a capoeira guy started asking me about places to train in the area when I went wearing it to a Latin American festival. ;D

    Easier to do online, as you can just comment on other people's blogs: lots of female BJJ blogs you can (and I'm guessing already have, judging by your previous post) check out, as Leslie handily listed them on the right hand side of her blog. Or for BJJ blogs in general, I've got a list of around 300 here, and now there's that map too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure that my shirt collection will steadily grow as well- I have already had one person ask me about BJJ- but you would never guess what got their attention-
    Bruises...perhaps the best and worst of marketing..kind of a thanks but no thanks situation.

    At least I didn't get the stereotypical.."oh honey, you really shouldn't let him beat you like that" remark.

    I plan on adding BJJ blogs to my site as soon as I get some time. Thanks for help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you'll probably get some of those. (Or a "There's a hotline for that, dear.")

    Cafepress. That's what I couldn't remember on Saturday, and where I got those 3 stickers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL- I guess I should start thinking up the remarkably witty comebacks now huh-

    I am super hooked on Cafepress right now- they have tons of goodies! Sent in my request for the license plate- I had to explain to them what it meant...seriously?? what did they think???
    UGH...

    ReplyDelete