My life according to belt. Chronicles of a 30's something female Jiu Jitsu practitioner.

Monday, October 25, 2010

Downward Spiral

Last week was horrendous- not just from a Jiu Jitsu stand point, but from a real life schedule wise stand point. I literally had a HUGE event every single day. I started the week really well- I went to training class on Monday- I even managed to get the hubby there with me. The kickboxing and striking training was the same as usual. We worked on technique to promote power...running various speed drills..for 2 1/2 hours..

Next came the Jiu Jitsu class. I was super excited to have my husband there with me. Not that we can really roll together, since he is WAY bigger than I am..but I figured he could help me work the technique on things at home. All of the guys were very welcoming of him (ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!), and it really didn't take long for the class to start going downhill from the get go. Honestly I can't even remember the technique that they were working on that night- rolling someone from a guard position, and getting out of an armbar I think...I don't remember because since no one would work the technique with me I pretty mush stayed in the corner. Hubby was more than happy to roll the technique with me- I did it a couple of time with him, but hauling a good 120 plus pounds from on top of me was not an easy feat- and since I didn't have the technique well, it was even harder- I could tell I was resorting to trying to muscle my way out of it.

After a few failed attempts with him I walked off to get our stuff packed up- they had an open mat session in which everyone was SO impressed with my hubby. Oh yay. So thrilled. I show up night after night and work my butt off and get nothing but put in a corner. They hubby shows up one night, knows nothing and is a freak of nature grand master. Needless to say- I haven't made it back since.

***************************************************************************************

I drove up to Richmond Friday night for the Hannette Staack seminar. It was presented by the more than welcoming crew at BJJ Revolution. Not only did they invite me to one of their classes- they loaned me a Gi for the class and seminar!! They were/ are fantastic and I advise anyone traveling that direction to stop in and say Hi.

After 5 plus hours in the car my muscles were not happy- but I donned the loaned GI and did a little one on one with Eric Burdo and Liz Sussan- the owners/ operators of BJJ Revolution. They both gave me some advice on passing closed guard that I plan on working on in the near future. I couldn't stay long since I was exhausted- so I headed back to my fabulous hotel and ordered room service!! It was quite a treat after such a horrible week of craziness.

The next morning came quickly and it was seminar time before I knew it. I was super nervous. I was there by myself- didn't really know anyone, and I don't consider myself to have any kind of working knowledge of Jiu Jitsu at all.

Hannette started the seminar with some drills that were all very new to me- using a partner to turn off of- working on rolling between the partners legs- in theory it looked very cool- me doing it?? not so much- it was a disaster...in time I guess. Of course she was very nice and said- " You are pretty good for just starting"..but what is she going to say?? OMG- Just quit- Walk away now- this just ins't for you...

The seminar progressed from the rolls into what I would consider combo moves. I never really heard the names for anything but I have them somewhat mapped out in my head and I will try to put something descriptive up later. I learned a lot of basics (which I needed), and a few techniques for future use. It was a great seminar and I hope to get to another one that she is teaching soon. While everyone was very nice and accommodating- it made me realize how much more a Jiu Jitsu partner is really needed. Someone to consistently practice with- someone to help you remember the details- someone to push you when you need to be pushed- and also someone that acknowledges you are working as hard as you possibly can and sometimes you just have to throw the dog a bone.

My plan, as of this minute, is to go to Jiu Jitsu class tonight. I am not the least bit optimistic- but I have to keep trying.

2 comments:

  1. Aw, sorry to hear it wasn't a good week. Sounds like I will have to come beat those boys up. ;) And remember, you're still always welcome up here.

    As for the seminar, you probably didn't notice, but I guarantee other people were having trouble with things, too. I had a clumsy, awkward day at the Romulo seminar, and had to move slowly and Justin had to help me a whole stinkin' lot. I felt rather dumb at times.

    And you got to meet nice people, who helped you and encouraged you and showed you that you're not alone and that you can do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm getting on a plane now to join Leslie in some Texas style butt kickin'. ;)

    jk - the guys (I'm not defending them, just trying to find the rainbow) might have been a little nervous about rolling around with a strange man's wife, in front of him. Hence, they overcompensated, like men do.

    I train at a BJJ Revolution school, and I have had a great experience with them. Thanks for letting me know where to train if I'm ever that way.

    About, "I show up night after night and work my butt off and get nothing but put in a corner." Remember Patrick Swayze, "Nobody puts baby in a corner." Crawl out of that spider web infested corner and say, "I would like to try."

    ReplyDelete