My life according to belt. Chronicles of a 30's something female Jiu Jitsu practitioner.

Monday, October 11, 2010

Make Room for Improvement

Shooooooweeeeee. I am worn out. I just got in from a three hour training session with "the boys". For the first hour and a half we worked on kickboxing and striking power. The kickboxing itself is fairly easy for me- although there is always room for improvement. I still have a lot to learn when it comes to striking power though...a lot of the technical motions are just not natural for me and I am going to have to re-train my muscles. Looking forward to putting in the work though.

The last hour of training was strictly Jiu Jitsu. There was a new guy there tonight too. New to me- but apparently not to the class. He is a very experienced and he had no problem rolling with a girl. OH HAPPY DAY!!!!...yes..one more time..OH HAPPY DAY!!! I finally found a consistent partner to roll with. He actually seemed thrilled to be rolling with someone that is more his height. Obviously if he chose to he could wear me out- but he didn't. He let me work the techniques over and over-

When we had our open mat session at the end of the evening I used the technique I learned from TECH teacher Tim Mannon and immediately passed guard into side control. That was the best feeling ever. Almost so good that for a split second I freaked out and was going to celebrate...but I caught myself- threw him into a keylock and he TAPPED!!! My first tap!!!! WOOHOOOO..

Mucho Thanks go to everyone at TECH that helped me even get into side control to begin with. Kudos to my new partner Austin for being man enough to take on a girl. I am off to celebrate!!!

Goodnight All-

5 comments:

  1. Yay for experienced guys who will work with girls! Having a guy like him around will make being taken seriously by the other guys a whole, whole lot easier.

    You're still welcome to come up anytime, and you can bring Austin, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news! Smaller guys like me (or indeed Meerkatsu and Dolph, among others) love rolling with women for that reason, as mostly we find it difficult to get somebody our size, especially in a small school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This morning I am covered in bruises head to toe. More from hitting the bags repeatedly last night in kickboxing versus Jiu Jitsu I think..although I know that some are strictly from rolling.

    Surprisingly I am not very sore or achey...good thing too, round two is tonight. Hoping that Austin makes it back in tonight. Having someone reliable to partner with is certainly a plus!

    Leslie- One of these days I will just have to kidnap them all and tote them up for a visit. That way the ones that are hesitant to roll with a girl can be "schooled"..and of course I would enjoy the entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I signed up for your blog to come to my wordpress location. I'll be looking forward to hearing about your training. The guys will come around, and you'll become one of their favorite training partners.
    Take care,
    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jodi-

    Thanks so much! I am more excited about tonight, since Austin is supposed to come back to class- it makes it much easier knowing there is someone in the class that doesn't mind me being there AND is willing to help me!!

    ReplyDelete