My life according to belt. Chronicles of a 30's something female Jiu Jitsu practitioner.

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Lesson Learned

It has been a few days since I have been able to post anything. Partly because my schedule is just ridiculously busy, and partly because by the time I get home and the kids are in bed- I am ready for bed too. The 3 and a half hour training classes 4 times a week is taking a serious toll. Even now as I type my hands and forearms are killing me. Luckily my legs are in pretty good shape, or I would question whether or not I could even sit here.
We have been doing a lot of drills on striking power- using technique to push through versus just swinging. What a concept. When I started this my hook was by far my weakest throw- after last night it now may be my hardest. Apparently all the guys were impressed. They all said my hook is harder then theres- with the exception of the title fighter of course. Good enough for meeeeee. I even got a high five from one of the guys that has been kind of stand offish. May have been the highlight of the evening.
At the end of the training class we did some sort of hellacious 10 minute action drill. For ten minutes you move- doing whatever the person calling out the orders tells you too...push ups, jumping jacks, squats, sprawls, ect...after about 3 minutes in to it I was done...I mean really done..keep in mind we had already done an hour and a half of high impact MMA training-...I mustered my way through the last 7 minutes so that I wouldn't start hearing the "girl" remarks..but none of the actions I did were actually worth anything. I did stay moving though...

On to Jiu Jitsu...I felt terrible moving on to the Jiu Jitsu class as sweaty and stinky as I was..but I guess the guys were too..
We were working on an arm bar technique- it was super hard for me..being as that I am short and chubby- "compact" as they say nicely (lol)...but I have the hardest time swinging my leg over the head...I can rotate t square up on the arm, but I can't seem to swing my leg over the head to sweep them. Practice makes perfect I guess..

I am curious if I were to have a girl to try the move on if I would be any more successful...the guys seem to have a hard time working the technique on me too...for apparently the same reason. I am thrilled that they are starting to work technique with me at all!!

I officially signed up for the upcoming Hanette Staack seminar. I am super excited to be going to meet some other female Jiu Jitsu practitioners, as well as learn some techniques from a topnotch female. I mentioned the class to my instructor and he seemed excited for me..always a good sign.
I feel like everyone is getting more and more accepting- in the beginning they just didn't know what to do with a girl, so they chose not to do anything I guess..
Lesson to self (and any other readers out there)..doing nothing is hardly ever the right option.

3 comments:

  1. So wait, guys -- other than Austin -- let you work technique with them last night(s)? Hurrah!

    Also, on that armbar, once you've got your arms set up, try first leaning toward their legs (roll up on your other hip) to give your hip space to rotate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes sense- I will give it a try tonight. One other guy let me work a technique with him last night- probably the best guy in the class outside of the instructor of course.

    Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This video might help. Its very simple but really helped me.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaKm4NODl2k&feature=player_embedded

    ReplyDelete