My life according to belt. Chronicles of a 30's something female Jiu Jitsu practitioner.

Friday, October 15, 2010

To Gi or Not to Gi

It is official- I am signed up and ready to attend the upcoming seminar in Richmond. YAY!!! I am super excited to meet some other Jiu Jitsu girls. I am starting to feel official-

I have a BJJ sticker on the back of my car.

I have a weekend seminar scheduled.

I am covered in bruises and am currently toting a broken right foot. It is quite colorful and lovely.

The only thing I lack at the moment is a Gi. The cordial group in Richmond has offered to loan me one- but I would like to order one for myself anyway-

I prefer to go with a blue- or anything other than black and white really-

Suggestions? Do the Gis really differ from men to women? Any particular brands that are really good? I have one suggestion already (thanks Leslie!)..but it is a cheapie spare...so what I need to know is if you could only buy one Gi and it had to be the best Gi you could buy at that moment- what would you get???

Hope you are all doing well! I can't thank you all enough for the ongoing support. Things are really looking up at my gym...apparently the guys have been "bragging" about me behind my back..YAY!@@

6 comments:

  1. "apparently the guys have been 'bragging' about me behind my back..YAY!"

    That is fantastic! If they keep this up, I won't have to come down and beat them all up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...I dunno...I got my gi thru my school and had the choice of Century in Blue or Atama in White...and I went with Century in Blue because of A. The Price and B. It wasn't White. I have my eye on a Fenom gi, but they only come in black and white...so I guess I don't really have any advice to help you out...there are soem good reviews out there, I think Leslie could probably point you in the right direction more then I can...So basically this whole post was kinda...well...unhelpful...sorry! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congradulations!!!! I'm so proud for you. You must really be working hard, if the guys are bragging on you. Don't stress too much over which gi to buy, as long as you have one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My instructor ordered a blue one from Century back in September- it is on backorder..still!! I have my doubts as to whether or not it will come in in time for the seminar-
    I found some gray ones too- I guess I don't hate the white-
    but I can't buy black= Carlos Machado doesn't allow anyone to wear black that isn't a black belt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have one gender neutral gi, and one specifically for women.

    I will say that I LOVE my girl gi... I got mine from http://fenomkimonos.com/. I love it, and after I got mine, 4 of the5 girls who regularly train at my gym ended up getting one too. =) They are cute, fit well, and are an an amazing deal.

    I will say the Fenom gis only come in black and white though.


    Catfightgirl.com has a lot of really cute colors, and designs... and obviously are for women.

    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am partial to Koral, but I recently purchased an Atama women's gi, which fits me like a glove.

    ReplyDelete